Eternal Tale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Makael's fall

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Makael

Makael

Makael's fall Empty
PostSubject: Makael's fall   Makael's fall I_icon_minitime27/2/2013, 01:50

The glare of the sun pierced the thin curtains, shining right into his eyes. Makael pushed himself up from the bed, rubbing the side of his head. His attention was suddenly piqued by a giggle. "Its about time you woke up dear. You're late! You know you were due to deliver your catch to the butcher and the leather-worker before you go into the city!

Makael suddenly hopped out of bed, fumbling to get his trousers on before falling over with a loud thud. "Ow! Damn it Ly, why didn't you wake me sooner!?"

Lysandra chuckled, before bursting into all out laughter. "I was joking. Its barely time for breakfast. But that face, and all that fumbling..." She continued to laugh loudly, and after a moment, Makael clicked, and began laughing too, hugging her tightly as she pulled him up, before giving her a tender morning kiss.

It took him a few minutes to dress - properly this time. As he came down, his daughter slammed into him with one of her usual joyful hugs. Good morning daddy!"

Makael smiled at her, picking her up and giving her a warm hug back. "Good morning Beralla. Up early as usual I see?"

"Yep! I love to watch the sun rise with mummy!" She looked at him hopefully. "Are you going to bring me anything back from the city, Daddy?"

Makael ruffled her hair, chuckling. "I'll bring you back one of those wood carvings you love. Would you like a Horse, or a Songbird?"

She lit up, jumping up and down. "A Horsey! A Horsey!"

Just then, the call came from the Kitchen. "Breakfast is ready!"

Lysandra had put down one of her usual "City Trip" breakfasts. Crispy bacon, friend eggs, and delicious buttered toast. All three of them sat at the table quickly, a short moment of silence as they hungrily helped themselves to their food. Makael read the letter he had received the previous day, while he ate. "What is in that letter anyway dear? You never mentioned what it said. Only that you had to go to the city."

Makael frowned, but he didn't enjoy lying to his wife. "Its from the Seer council. For some reason, they want to see me. Can only mean they had some kinda vision." Lysandra frowned back, but nodded at him regardless. "Well, don't be too negative dear. For all you know, it could be good news. We could be about to come into some money!

Makael looked at his daughter, playing with her bacon and a fork. Every time someone has gone to see them in the past its been for bad news... But I don't want to scare them... not now. He simply lit up, looking at his wife again. "Yep! You're probably right. Well, I should be going anyway. What was it, stop by the butchers and the Leather workers on the way out?"

Makael took his time leaving, giving his wife and daughter big, long hugs before leaving for his trip. The sun was up high in the sky today, and the local woodcutters were just heading out for their daily routine, giving Makael a wave as they passed. The local river was full after the recent rain, the running water audible across the village. The sound of pounding steel could be heard from the Blacksmith, and from the nearby barns, the chickens could be heard clucking, as their carers went for the morning egg collection.

As Makael paced through the village to the exit, everyone gave him a smile and a nod. The Kelsid family, the local constable, and even the food stall owner. Makael made the stops required, dropping the meat with the Butcher, and the Hides with the Leather Worker, pocketing the cash to use during his time in the city.

Yet as Makael exited the village gates, following the path through the woods to the city, he couldn't help but feel something bad was going to happen today. That dread was rising in his gut fast, but he kept telling himself it was just nerves. He doubted anyone would be comfortable with a summons from the Seer council.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The noise surrounding the city's main gate was deafening; animals bleating, families arguing, children yelling, off-duty guards shouting insults over a lost game of dice. Garren was particularly irritated by the latter, mainly because he was stuck doing all the work while they skived off. Most didn't take gate duty too seriously,the reasoning being that if any thieves or barbarians were dumb enough to raid they'd be spotted a mile off by the tower watches. That invariably left one or two poor sods doing all of the work, and that sod was usually Garren.

The young man leaned against his spear, the look on his face far too word-weary for someone not even past his twenty fifth year. Dutifully, his eyes searched every soul that passed through the gate, looking for anything suspicious. He was remarkably perceptive for someone so clearly sick of his job. Presently he spotted someone a small ways off in the rabble of travellers that looked out of place. Slouched and hooded with an unkempt and dirty beard, trying to pass by unnoticed amidst a group of traders. He gave a bitter smile and straightened up, waving over another guard and then glaring sharply until he finally attended his post.

Presently the grubby looking figure approached, keeping it's head down as it passed the guards. Toying with the suspects was one of the few amusements Garren had anymore. He let the man start to pass, allowed him to think he hadn't been noticed, before casually lowering his spear across the man's path. With a nonchalant gesture, the workshy guard stepped in to take his place as Garren started to guide the man away from the stream of people.

"Is there a problem, officer?"
Garren simple leaned on his spear once more, staring at his suspect. After just a glance he knew his suspicions were correct. The man's clothes were rugged and outlandish, with the appearance of being scrounged together, and were caked in grime. His beard was a tangled mess that looked more like a birds nest than facial decoration. Judging from the sacks he was trying desperately to hide under his cloak, he was likely a pirate trying to smuggle in some illicit substances. He didn't bother talking to the scoundrel, simply raised an eyebrow and waited.
"I....you...what's the meaning of this?! I'm an innocent citizen, you can't just pull me aside for no reason-"

It continued for over a minute, frantically trying to talk his way out while only digging his way deeper. Garren couldn't hide a grin at the drop of sweat running down the side of the crook's forehead. Finally though he decided to put him out of his misery. Holding up a hand until he stopped speaking, he said simply "Give me the bags."

After a moment's hesitation, the man accepted defeat and reluctantly pulled out two small sacks. Taking a glance inside them, his suspicions were confirmed; the bags were full of dried leaves. The sort commonly smoked by those wanting a little bit more than ordinary tobacco.

With a rather bored sigh, he called over to one of the other guards and instructed them to take the smuggler to the prisons, before returning to his post at the head of the shifting crowd, fully expecting the excitement for the day to be over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a long journey, about half a day, through the dense forests of Bastia. It looked like the hunt would be good on his return journey though. Plenty of deer were flocking around the area, clearly in the height of mating season. He hoped that he might take down a fully grown Buck on the way back, so his family would feast for a week.

On his trip, Makael felt like a voice was pressing at his mind. But he could quite make out what it was saying. It seemed to emanate from the old ruins to the east of their village, but no one ever went there. It was said that the ruins were cursed by the winged beings who visited in ages past. But of course, he felt they were just stories, folk tales to scare children. Still, his task at hand took precedence, so he shook off the voice and continued his journey.

Makael found himself looking at the massive walls of Alonar. Must have been market day, because activity around the gate was bustling. The entire journey Makael had been sick to his stomach, and the feeling just got worse as he finally neared his destination.

Makael noticed some of the guards accosting a man. Must have been a smuggler. Common in these parts.He thought little on it though, continuing toward the massive Seers tower, his steps growing heavier as he neared it. The tower stretched up high, not quite reaching the clouds, but on a foggy day you wouldn't be able to see the top. Golden decorations coated its exterior, and images of predictions of future and past were carved into the base of the tower.

One recent addition was causing some commotion among the city folk. The carving was painted red, orange and yellow, and was nothing more than fire, engulfing outwards, devouring everything. Makael swallowed hard, wondering if he had anything to do with this. At the same time, he felt as if someone was looking down on him from the tower. But he couldn't quite make them out.
Makael found himself sitting in the waiting room for quite a while. It was a boring, plain white room. Just a few chairs, nothing else. It did nothing to calm his nerves, but perhaps that's why they did it. These Seers were always a mystery. Of course, between the paranoia, the other nagging issue for Makael was the lack of remaining daytime to catch the days hunt. His family would likely have to make do with Rabbit today.

Finally the door opened, and an old man in a red robe entered the room. He seemed pretty glum.

"The Council will see you now. Please follow me."

Without even waiting for a reply, the man began to walk down the corridor again, prompting Makael to follow him quickly. These corridors were filled by other men in various colours of robe, perhaps depicting their rank. Some carried scrolls, others looked at Makael with suspicion. Many of them seemed in a hurry. The corridors were far more intricate than the waiting room, painted with golds and reds, more images of prophecy painted into them. Every few meters would be the same painted in picture of fire.

After a few minutes walking up various staircases and sloped corridors, they found themselves before a massive red door, made of stone. The old man gave a signal, prompting the door guard, numbering 6, to take each door and haul it open. The doors slid open loudly, the stone grinding against the marble floor. The old man gestured to Makael to enter.

"If you would, please."

Makael entered the room slowly, still feeling cautious. It was pitch black inside. Not a good start. The guards suddenly pushed the door shut behind him, and Makael could feel his heart racing in his chest. As the doors slammed totally shut, Makael found himself panicked in this total darkness.
A single flame suddenly lit up in the middle of what was now clearly a massive room, a chain reaction causing a number of torches to light up in a ring around the room, each at the base of a stone chair. Within each chair, numbering 12 in total, sat a Seer, each in a different coloured robe.
Makael caught his breath a moment, before finding the courage to speak. "You... you sent for me?"
Back to top Go down

Makael's fall
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Eternal Tale :: Miscellaneous :: Creative Writing-
Jump to: